Open Heavens Devotional 14th January, 2019
Theme For Open Heavens Devotional 14th January – YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
“Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I Am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
BIBLE READING: John 16:5-13
5. But now I go My Way to Him that sent Me; and none of you asketh Me, Whither goest Thou?
6. But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.
7. Nevertheless I tell you The Truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, The Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send Him unto you.
8. And when He is come, He will reprove the world of Sin, and of Righteousness, and of Judgment:
9. Of Sin, because they believe not on Me;
10. Of Righteousness, because I go to My Father, and ye see Me no more;
11. Of Judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
12. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13. Howbeit when He, The Spirit of Truth, is come, He will guide you into All Truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will show you things to come.
A. One comforting Assurance we have from Our Lord Jesus Christ is that we are not alone.
1. The devil wants you to feel you are alone and abandoned, but it is a lie.
2. In Today’s Bible Reading, we are reassured that even though The Master has gone away to be with His Father, He did not leave us without A Comforter, Who is The Holy Spirit.
3. The Work of the Holy Spirit includes Reproof concerning sin, Encouragement into A Life of Righteousness and Giving Sound Judgement in difficult situations.
4. He is to Guide us into All Truth, which includes The Truth that we are not alone, neither can we be deserted or abandoned.
5. The Holy Spirit Glorifies Jesus Christ in our lives by doing what Only Christ can do in and through us.
6. There are things that Jesus Christ Commanded us to do that are impossible to execute except we are Divinely Aided, such as The Command in Matthew 5:11-12 to Rejoice when we are persecuted.
7. Matthew 5:11-12 “Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in Heaven: for so persecuted they The Prophets which were before you.
9. The Holy Spirit helps us with this and much more.
B. Sometimes, you may experience some situations which the devil may capitalise on to malign Our Loving Master as having abandoned you, but it is not true.
1. I have also experienced this. Many years ago, the devil came to tell me that I was abandoned and not appreciated, but God proved him wrong when a little girl came from several kilometers away to give me a cake as appreciation for what God was doing with my life.
2. After receiving that cake, I forgot all the feelings of abandonment.
3. Another time, I was travelling somewhere and the aircraft got into a very turbulent weather.
4. There was so much commotion in the plane, to the extent that many people abandoned their complimentary meals for fear of a possible crash.
5. In the meantime, My Daddy spoke with me, telling me to keep calm because He was in the plane and it was impossible for a plane He was travelling in to crash.
6. Immediately I heard this, I relaxed and settled down with my meal.
7. When I was done, I asked the rich man who was seated beside me if he would not mind me having his meal.
8. He obliged, all the while looking at me strangely and wondering if I had heard and understood the announcement made by the pilot of a possible emergency landing!
9. He passed his tray to me and I settled down again to enjoy the meal.
10. I had hardly finished when the announcer came back on air to tell us that the turbulence was over. Glory be to God!
C. Beloved, always remember that one of The Names of Jesus Christ is Emmanuel, which means “God with us”
1. Matthew 1:23 “Behold, A Virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth A Son, and they shall call His Name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
2. You have no reason to feel abandoned or neglected if Jesus Christ is Your Master and Your Lord.
Stay with Christ so that He can stay with you. He will not abandon you unless you turn your back on Him.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Matthew 27-28, Isaiah 11:6-12:6
AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE.
HYMN: IN CHRIST ALONE.
1. In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
Here in the love of Christ I stand.
2. In Christ alone! Who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied –
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.
3. There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave he rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine –
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.
4. No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life’s first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand.
Credit – RCCG / Pastor Adeboye