Theme For Open Heavens Devotional 18 August 2019 – BIG THINGS START SMALL.
Though thy beginning was small, yet thy latter end should greatly increase.” Job 8:7
BIBLE READING: Mark 4:30-32
30• And He said, Whereunto shall we liken The Kingdom of God? Or with what comparison shall we compare it?
31• It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that be in the earth:
32• But when it is sown, it groweth up, and becometh greater than all herbs, and shooteth out great branches; so that the fowls of the air may lodge under the shadow of it.
A. Today we live in a world that glorifies things of great proportions, with a special attraction for gigantic projects.
1. Anything that is not MASSIVE, HUGE, TREMENDOUS or COLOSSAL does not seem to catch the attention of the current generation.
2. In the common parlance of the 21st century, things that turn people’s heads usually stat with the word “MEGA”, like MEGA-CORPORATIONS, MEGASTORES, MEGACITIES, MEGA-CHURCHES, and so on.
3. Because society is so obsessed with all things MEGA, small things have become unattractive and inconsequential to a lot of people.
4. People nowadays DESPISE THE DAYS OF LITTLE BEGINNINGS and deride small things.
5. However, as people of God’s Kingdom, our culture is different.
6. Zechariah 4:10a states our creed as follows: “DO NOT DESPISE THESE SMALL BEGINNINGS, for THE LORD rejoices to see the work begin…….”
B. Every great work of God usually starts small, beginning sometimes only as a vision in the mind of a faithful servant of God.
1. In this sense, the mustard seed in Today’s Bible Reading is a perfect example of a small beginning.
2. Although a mustard seed is very small, measuring only about 1 or 2 millimeters, when it is sown, it grows into a tree of about 3meters high.
3. This is a 3000% increase in size!
4. I prophesy according to The Word of The Lord coming to you now, no matter how small your beginning is, your latter end will increase tremendously in the Name of Jesus. Amen!
C. In God’s dealings with man, there have been so many stories of LITTLE BEGINNINGS BECOMING GREAT.
1. Usually, in the days of small things, critics are numerous, unleashing vicious condemnation without reservation.
2. The heaven –appointed builder is typically tagged a dreamer and made to face ridicule and mockery.
3. Many times, the voice of critics will ring through repeatedly, saying that the dream being pursued is not achievable.
4. Be careful not to pay attention to their words because there is no truth in them.
5. Their objective is to cause discouragement and make you lose focus.
6. In spite of such pessimistic verbal attacks and threats, Zerubbabel zealously pressed on with the work of rebuilding God’s temple in Jerusalem (Ezra 3-5, Haggai 1-2, Zechariah 4).
7. Be assured that the glorious completion of your assignment will put to shame all those who scorned its small beginning.
D. To The Glory of God, The Redeemed Christian Church of God is a good example of how GOD CAN MAKE A MUSTARD SEED GROW TO BECOME A TREE GREATER than all herbs with great branches.
1. Just BE FAITHFUL IN THE LITTLE that God has committed into your hands.
2. DO NOT DESPISE THE DAYS OF SMALL BEGINNINGS.
3. If you are HOLY, DILIGENT, PRAYERFUL and FOCUSED, The Lord will CROWN ALL YOUR EFFORTS WITH RESOUNDING SUCCESS and
4. make YOUR LATTER END TO INCREASE beyond measure, according to His Word.
Restate your firm commitment to the Lord Jesus Christ and to the cause of His Kingdom. And He Will Make YOUR LATTER END TO INCREASE beyond measure, according to His Word In The Name Of Jesús. Amen!
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 1 Samuel 20-21
AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE
HYMN: IN CHRIST ALONE
1•In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand.
2•In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save
‘Til on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live.
3•There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ
4•No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life’s first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
Till He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand.
Emmanuel=GOD With Us!
Credit – Pastor E. Adeboye