Theme For Open Heavens Devotional December 4 2020 – Don’t Be Desperate For Marriage.
“Then his father and his mother said unto him, Is there never a woman among the daughters of thy brethren, or among all my people, that thou goest to take a wife of the uncircumcised Philistines? And Samson said unto his father, Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well.” Judges 14:3
BIBLE READING: Genesis 29:20-28 & Genesis 30:30-35.
20. And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her.
21. And Jacob said unto Laban, Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that I may go in unto her.
22. And Laban gathered together all the men of the place, and made a feast.
23. And it came to pass in the evening, that he took Leah his daughter, and brought her to him; and he went in unto her.
24. And Laban gave unto his daughter Leah Zilpah his maid for an handmaid.
25. And it came to pass, that in the morning, behold, it was Leah: and he said to Laban, What is this thou hast done unto me? did not I serve with thee for Rachel? wherefore then hast thou beguiled me?
26. And Laban said, It must not be so done in our country, to give the younger before the firstborn.
27. Fulfil her week, and we will give thee this also for the service which thou shalt serve with me yet seven other years.
28. And Jacob did so, and fulfilled her week: and he gave him Rachel his daughter to wife also.
30. For it was little which thou hadst before I came, and it is now increased unto a multitude; and The LORD hath blessed thee since my coming: and now when shall I provide for mine own house also?
31. And he said, What shall I give thee? And Jacob said, Thou shalt not give me any thing: if thou wilt do this thing for me, I will again feed and keep thy flock.
32. I will pass through all thy flock to day, removing from thence all the speckled and spotted cattle, and all the brown cattle among the sheep, and the spotted and speckled among the goats: and of such shall be my hire.
33. So shall my righteousness answer for me in time to come, when it shall come for my hire before thy face: every one that is not speckled and spotted among the goats, and brown among the sheep, that shall be counted stolen with me.
34. And Laban said, Behold, I would it might be according to thy word.
35. And he removed that day the he goats that were ringstraked and spotted, and all the she goats that were speckled and spotted, and every one that had some white in it, and all the brown among the sheep, and gave them into the hand of his sons.
A. So many people are having problems in their marriages today because they were so desperate for marriage that they ended up marrying a devil.
1.Jacob was so desperate to marry Rachel that he did not study her character well enough to see her strong commitment to idols.
2.And more importantly, he did not ask God to choose for him as had been the custom in his family 3.Genesis 24:12-14). “12 And he said O Lord God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.
13 Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water:
14 And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master.”
4.I am writing this today because I don’t want you to fall victim of the same error if you are still single.
5.You need God to enable you to find the right partner.
6.In Proverbs 18:22, the Bible says: “Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.”
7.The Bible verse above implies that not just any woman would make a wife.
8.For every one of our single brothers: may you find a wife- one who would move you forward and be a help meet indeed, in The Mighty Name of Jesus. Amen!
B. I know a case of two people who were both desperate to get married.
1.They came across each other and soon got married.
2.From the first week of their marriage they became like cats and dogs.
3.I pray for anyone trusting God for a future partner that you will find favour with God and know His will.
4.A sister should not agree to a marriage proposal just because she feels age is no longer on her side. 5.Only a man who is God-fearing and can love her as Christ loves the Church is worthy of a sister’s hand in marriage.
C. The thing about marriage is that once you are in it, you cannot change your mind as God hates divorce.
1.Malachi 2:16. Says ““For The LORD God of Israel says That He hates divorce, For it covers one’s garment with violence,” Says The LORD of Hosts. “Therefore take heed to your spirit, That you do not deal treacherously.”
2.Brother/Sister, you need to be very sure that God is leading you into that marriage before you exchange those marital vows.
3.Do not marry someone for the sake of getting married.
4.It is better to wait on God for the right person than to settle for just anyone because of societal pressures.
5.A lot of Christians who committed that error would tell you it is a grievous mistake to make.
6.An error in selecting a life partner could ruin a destiny.
7.The Bible says in Psalm 11:3 “if the foundation be destroyed, what can the righteous do? (Psalm 11:3).
8.A word is enough for the wise.
Prayer Point For Open Heavens Devotional December 4 2020
Father, whatever You must do, Please do it so that I don’t get into the wrong marriage in The Mighty Name of Jesus.Amen.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 2 Corinthians 5-9
AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE
HYMN 20: NEARER, MY GOD TO THEE.
1. Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!
E’en though it be a cross that raiseth me,
Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to Thee.
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee!
2. Though like the wanderer, the sun gone down,
Darkness be over me, my rest a stone;
Yet in my dreams I’d be nearer, my God, to Thee.
3. There let the way appear, steps unto Heav’n;
All that Thou sendest me, in mercy giv’n;
Angels to beckon me nearer, my God, to Thee.
4. Then, with my waking thoughts bright with Thy praise,
Out of my stony griefs Bethel I’ll raise;
So by my woes to be nearer, my God, to Thee.
5. Or, if on joyful wing cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and stars forgot, upward I’ll fly,
Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to Thee.
6. There in my Father’s home, safe and at rest,
There in my Savior’s love, perfectly blest;
Age after age to be nearer, my God, to Thee.
EMMANUEL=GOD WITH US!