10 Fasting And Prayer Scriptures For Spiritual Growth
10 Fasting and Prayer Scriptures for Spiritual Growth: Fasting and praying are important in the lives of every Christian.
Fasting and praying are used as tools for spiritual discipline. Fasting and praying have been practiced by believers for centuries.
Fasting involves giving up food and other material comforts in order to concentrate on prayer and seek God’s will.
There are several instances of fasting in the Bible, from Jesus in the wilderness to Moses on Mount Sinai.
Nehemiah cried, fasted, and prayed for a group of afflicted Israelites when he learned of their plight.
- Matthew 6:16–18: “And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so that their fasting may be seen by others.
Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head, and wash your face, your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father, who is in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you.”
- Matthew 4:2: And after fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry.
- Acts 13:2–3: While they were worshipping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” So, after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off.
- Matthew 9:15: Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast.”
- Ezra 8:23: So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer.
- Joel 2:12: “Even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting, weeping, and mourning.”
- 1 Corinthians 7:5: Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then, come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
- Luke 18:12: I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.
- Psalm 35:13: Yet when they were ill, I put on sackcloth and humbled myself by fasting. When my prayers returned to me unanswered,
- Matthew 17:21: However, this kind does not go out except through prayer and fasting.